Mongabay LLC operates the following subdomains of the Mongabay.com web site: data, travel, rainforests, kids, fish, danger, names, global, world, wealth, and population. Mongabay LLC also operates WildMadagascar.org. Mongabay's news content -- subdomains including news, india, brasil, es, jp, de, it, cn, and fr -- are operated by Mongabay Org Corporation, a California 501(c)(3).
1. The information we collect and how we collect it.
How we collect and store information depends on the Services you use. You can use some of the Services without providing any information other than that automatically collected as described below.
1.1 Information you provide
We may collect information about you when you submit your information to us via email or social media messaging.
1.2 Automatically-collected information
1.2.1 Device/usage information
We may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices) you use to access the Services. For example, we may collect and analyze information such as (a) IP addresses, geolocation information (as described in the next section below), unique device identifiers including mobile advertising identifiers and other information about your mobile phone or other mobile device(s), browser types, browser language, operating system, the state or country from which you accessed the Services; and (b) information related to the ways in which you interact with the Services, such as: referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, clicked items, interaction with advertisements, domain names, landing pages, pages and content viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, mouse hover including location and time spent on each area of the page, the date and time you used the Services, the frequency of your use of the Services, error logs, and other similar information. As described further below, we may use third-party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting and analyzing this information.
We may also capture other data, such as search criteria and results.
1.2.2 Cookies and other electronic technologies
When you use the Services, we use persistent and session cookies and other similar tracking technologies to: (a) monitor and analyze the usage of our sites and Services by collecting the information discussed in section 1.2.1 above; and (d) tailor advertising displayed by the Services, as well as advertisements that may be displayed on other websites or mobile applications.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser’s toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, the advertisements you see may not be as relevant to you.
To opt-out of interest-based advertising that is enabled by many industry platforms and providers, please see section 3 in below.
2. What we do with the information we collect.
We use the information that we collect for the following purposes:
- for the purposes for which you provided it;
- to generate and review reports and data about our user base and usage patterns of the Services;
- to perform analytics and research aimed at improving the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Services;
- to offer, manage, monitor and improve the content and features of the Services or develop new Services;
- to enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Services; and
- to display advertisements from advertising partners since our Services are supported by advertising revenue.
3. How we share and disclose user information with third parties.Mongabay LLC uses Google Analytics to track visitors’ activity on its websites. Google Analytics uses the web browsing data to enrich its own products, in a manner that may make this a “sale” to Google under CCPA. If you’d like to opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics on a particular browser,安装this add-on to that browser. You also may opt-out from Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network in a particular browser by usingGoogle’s Ads Settings.
4. About the California Consumer Privacy Act
加州消费者隐私法案》(CCPA)是一个new data privacy law that establishes various rights for California state residents. The law applies to companies that do business in California and meet one of several criteria related to revenue, data processing, and other factors. CCPA requires giving residents the right to opt out of the “sale” of their “personal information” (as the law defines those terms), with the opt-out offered via a prominent “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” link on the “selling” party’s homepage. CCPA does recognize certain exceptions to the definition of “sale,” such that not all transfers of personal information are “sales.” For example, transferring personal information to a “service provider” under the law is not a sale. (text from Google)
California Notice of Collection
We or our service providers may collect the below categories of information for the following business or commercial purposes (as those terms are defined in applicable law):
- providing the Services;
- auditing consumer interactions on our site;
- bug detection and error reporting;
- customizing content that we or our service providers display on the Services;
- improving our existing Services and developing new services (e.g., by conducting research to develop new products or features); or
- other uses that advance our commercial or economic interests.